Monday, August 30, 2010

Methuselah Pine

As you all know I am a big jeporady watcher. Tonights final jeporady clue was on biblical names. Well, we all have heard of Noah; the man that built the big ark and took two of every animal with him because the great flood was coming. Methuselah was Noahs's grandfather. He lived for 969 years! and died during the time of the flood. There's a little history lesson for you.
Anyways, back to the tree. This clue facinated me so much that I had to look it up and share it with you guys. This Great Basin Bristlecone Pine is actually 4,841 years old! It is the oldest known individual tree in the world.  It lives in the "Forest of the Ancients" but it exact location is undisclosed to protect it from vandalism.  Heres a link to what the tree looks like.
Ciao for Now!
 http://www.halleethehomemaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/methuselah.jpg

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool. I am going to make it my screensaver! Most of my wall art is of nature scenes, but I rarely know the the history behind them. Thank you for sharing!!

    I used to live with a couple of arborists who had crazy pictures of trees up, like this redwood in california... look closely for the climbers... http://courses.cals.uidaho.edu/pses/plscrec106/redwood%20pic%20better.JPG

    ReplyDelete